Saturday, April 23, 2011

Journal 7: "My Personal Learning Network"

Journal 7

1. My personal learning network is the use of Twitter, Diigo and Blogger. These three internet resources are of great help to me because they share tremendous amount of new information regarding education that I was unaware of. It is an easy way of having communication with people around the world who share the same interest as you do. These websites will help me in the classroom because I will be able to share information with students and parents after school and even during school. This will keep students and teachers in communication and it will also be of great help when students are having trouble. Diigo in this case, will be of most help to the students. I will be able to bookmark different website that I find of great resource for students, and students (after showing them how to create their Diigo account) will be able to log in and see what I have bookmarked. After a while, they will be able to bookmark the different websites that they find are relevant to the classroom learning. In twitter I am following Mucio Vidales, EdChat, NTCHAT, ED422 (young chat) and owenthomas20. I chose to follow this twits because they all can bring a great amount of information for me. We all have something in common, the interest in Education. This is why I chose to follow each of them and see what new information they can bring.
2. The use of Twitter is something new to me. I heard when it first came out, but it was nothing of my interest. Once I realized of the different use Twitter can bring, I then (because of class) created an account. I followed #ntchat on April 20, 2011 at 5pm. The topic was about Classroom Libraries and to see how teachers managed to keep one. The discussion going on is very interesting. Almost everyone in the #nchat works in school settings, teachers, principals, and they each have mentioned that they have a small library in their classroom. Most of them keep the books organized by nonfiction (topics) and fiction (author) while others just let the students organize them as they please. Most of the teachers in the chat, acquire the books for their classroom via donations, out of pocket and others get them via library book sells. 
Been part of this chat was of great experience. It took me quite a while to understand how the process worked. I send out a #ntchat request and asked when the discussion was and what the topic was as well. I am sure they wrote back but I was never able to find it. When I did, I noticed how many people are involved in childrens' lives and how many of them try their hardest for their students to succeed. Although the chat was happening quite fast, it was at times hard to keep track of what everyone was talking about, but in the end it payed off. Because I am now more aware of how teachers around the world set up their classroom and how they try to incorporate reading in their classroom as much as they can. 
3. Diigo is a great networking tool, in the sense that you are able to bookmark internet pages and be able to go back to them in later time to look at new information without having to search for it on the google web. Also there is to be done is log into your diigo account and click on the name of the website and it will take you directly to it. It is great, even for high school students, who research information and will like to share it with friends and family. In Diigo you are able to find people who have tag similar things as you have and it is great when it comes to finding new information. I like it, I think it is a great web tool and it helps a lot when it comes down to finding information from others around the world who think that a particular web page is important as well. I decided to tag Educator's PLN as well as Classroom 2.0 because this two webpages are great for information in regards to teachers and students and lesson plans. Believe it or not, most of the information in the webpage includes forums, chats, where you are free to join and ask questions in regards to education. It is specifically for teachers, specially those seeking extra information about classroom management, etc. I chose to network with Diigo simply because it is a great tool to use with students and it stores information that one bookmarks on the web. Also because it is easy to access and go back to any page used before. Why else use it? Well for classroom students it is great because they can go in the bookmarked pages and highlight them. A great tool that I find completely helpful.
4. I chose to watch a video in the Classroom 2.0 called The European Children's Traveling Language Library. I found this video and its website very interesting because it is target towards children who are learning a new second language. They provide books in different languages and children are able to check them out and be able to read through them. This website motivates children to learn the language, for them to feel reinforced in learning a second language. Now, the store is only available in some countries, but they target students who are in their first year of learning a second language. This program is done by senior expertise in language acquisition.

No comments:

Post a Comment